Project Mark II: Workin’ it

Since getting the Mark II mopped up and coated, there hasn’t really been much else going on with regards to this vehicle save for the occasional drives I take it on. But I’m sure that now you know I’ve written this post, something must have been fiddled with (or had gone wrong), and you are right! After much casual browsing on the local classifieds, I have now found a set of wheels that is much more in line with my initial vision of the car. A lovely set of staggered 19″ Work Eurolines!

They were in a decent shape, not perfect like the Walds, with some slight kerb marks and a bit of corrosion going on under the chrome plating in some areas but overall, not something I’m too picky with considering the rather fair price I got them for. So, here they are all when I first got them mounted!

8.5s on the fronts and 9.5s for the rears. Not the deepest of dishes but since these are already hard to come by, I’m not complaining.

A little stretchy work for the rubber on the rears made it a perfect fit to prevent rubbing on the fenders.

Fitment was almost perfect for the rears, I do wonder if I can push it out further by another 5mm, but for now, I’m content.

Not too bad I reckon.

With the kerb marks somewhat bothering me, I arranged for the wheels to be repaired by the only local wheel shop that was willing to take on the job of fixing up the kerbed polished dishes. Hurry Tires. All other shops suggested painting over the dishes which is something I’d rather not do.

Here’s one of the wheels all done! Just needing a simple wipe down to finish it up. I didn’t see the entire repair process but was surprised it didn’t even go on the lathe machine.

Yes, they have a lathe machine, for cases where you damage your brand new diamond-cut finish wheels. Good to know that a local shop is able to repair them now.

For those who were wondering why my mechanic would prefer I not go any lower on my basic Tein coilovers, here’s the reason.

Unlike most other aftermarket coilovers, these entry-level Teins retain the stock top shock mounts and any sort of lowering can only be done on the shock-tower itself, with no mechanism to hold the top of the spring in place (like other coilovers), too much lowering on the shock-tower end can cause the spring to detach itself from the top mount when the car is lifted on a hoist due to a lack of tension.

I might still try to push it down further but it will take quite a bit of trial and error to get it to the lowest height possible without the springs dropping off.

Here’s how she now sits! I do have more plans for the car but with a newly acquired and sizeable backlog of stories lined up, any and all updates will now have to wait! Happy motoring!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s